Friday, March 2, 2007

Debt Elimination Scams

I was shocked recently at a comment by who I considered an intelligent and balanced individual. They asked me if I had heard of the legal ways to eliminate heavy debt loads - not pay off, but fully eliminate through legal loopholes. Ouch! First, even if this were legal and an available option I would protest it on moral grounds. When we've received goods and services and paid for it out of our future earnings we entered into a contractual obligation to pay for what we've received. End of story.

The truth is, however, that there is truly no free lunch - at least in this context. In response I dug up a link that I had seen where the Federal Reserve had warned people about this sort of scam. It is just that: a scam. Don't fall for it and for Pete's sake, don't shell out hard-earned coin to receive secret knowledge and documents that will allow you to do something that is unconscionable even if it were legal.

See also:

No comments: